Did you know? According to the U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, an increasing number of Americans are working part time by choice – think 22 million of them as of January 2023.
And no, you didn’t hear that wrong: For many, choosing to work part time unlocks real advantages, like the chance to support a family or pursue passions. For others, flexibility to work around their own schedule is game changing.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) recently surveyed more than 1,000 part-time workers across nearly every industry (excluding gig workers) to better understand their desires and motivations – and uncover ways companies like UPS can support the growth of part-time opportunities that change lives.
Here's the 1-2-3 on what SHRM’s survey tells us about part-time work in America today:
1. Most part-timers prefer it that way: 85% said working part-time was their choice. That’s compared to only 15% who said they would prefer full-time employment.
2. Balance is everything: Nearly three in four (72%) said flexibility was the reason for their part-time preference. And over half (55%) said their choice was driven by desire for healthy work-life balance and to avoid stress. Finally, exactly half (50%) said they wanted more time to focus on side hustles or hobbies.
3. Great people want great jobs: Many part-time workers say flexibility helps them see a long-term future in their current role. Benefits like paid time off, healthcare, retirement planning and education assistance are also perks that part-time workers find appealing in a job. By the way, UPS offers all of those.
ICYMI: We recently recapped the top 5 reasons we think working part time at UPS is a strong choice … and let our people share the news in their own words. No spoilers, but check this out:
- Part-time jobs with UPS include health coverage (with no deductibles and no-to-low co-pays) and a pension.
- UPS part-timers make on average $20 an hour after their first 30 days and are guaranteed annual wage increases and cost of living adjustments when economic conditions require it.
- Tuition assistance has been an important part of our rewards package for both part-time and full-time employees for more than 25 years. As a part-timer, you’re eligible for up to $25,000 in tuition reimbursement from the day you start.
Understanding and delivering what part-time workers want creates opportunities for everyone. Read the full SHRM survey, that was sponsored by UPS, here.