What’s the story: UPS opened its fourth largest U.S. distribution hub, located in Middletown, Pennsylvania. The nearly 800,000 square-foot facility houses the latest sorting, processing and data capturing technology. And it’s home to the largest natural gas fueling station in UPS’s network.
Why it matters: Through best-in-class engineering, UPS is reimagining its network with innovation-driven investments to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. The new renewable natural gas (RNG) fueling station will:
- Remove 8 million gallons of diesel fuel per year
- Help UPS reach 40% alternative fuel in ground operations by 2025
- Lower carbon footprint while still delivering for customers
Big picture: “We’re on a mission to improve our ground operations network, create local jobs and bring to life sustainable solutions,” said Crystal Lassiter, UPS buildings and systems engineering vice president. “With a focus on getting things right, we’re able to expand our bottom line.”
- Take a look at UPS’s ESG action plan and how we’ve been tracking progress for 20 years.
- Learn more about career opportunities and why UPS is a great place to work.