What’s the story: Each year, we observe Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. This month-long celebration recognizes the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture and achievements of the U.S.
Why it matters: “You belong at UPS” is our year-round rallying cry, but it extends beyond our company – from our frontline drivers to our customers and suppliers around the world. And it represents how we engage with our communities as we build a more inclusive workplace and world.
More to celebrate: Crecer, our Hispanic/Latino Business Resource Group (BRG), is celebrating their 10-year anniversary. Over the past decade, Crecer has uplifted Hispanic/Latino UPSers through talent development, customer growth and global connections. Today, there are over 1,200 BRG members across 17 international chapters.
“The BRG is a common place to gather and educate ourselves about other cultures,” said Carlos Huezo, an industrial engineer and Crecer member. “It teaches us that while we’re all UPSers, diversity is what makes us unique.”
How UPS is showing up: The UPS Foundation committed more than $2.9 million in grants and sponsorships to advance programs supporting Hispanic and Latino communities last year. And there’s much more we’re proud of:
- This year, UPS returns to New York Fashion Week with a limited-edition collection celebrating the Latinx community in collaboration with designer Angelo Baque. All profits from the collaboration will go to the High School of Fashion Industries to inspire the next generation of Latinx-owned small businesses in the fashion industry. Find out more here.
- As part of our ongoing Proudly Unstoppable program, UPS is celebrating Hispanic and Latinx-owned small businesses by releasing a bilingual limited-edition Express box featuring artwork by Latin American artist Eugenia Mello.
- Through a small business grant program with the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, UPS has provided financial assistance to 27 Hispanic and Latino-owned small businesses in support of their futures.
- UPS sponsored L’ATTITUDE 2021, an annual event showcasing the contributions of U.S. Hispanics and Latinos in business, media, politics, science and technology.
What you can do: Get involved in one of The UPS Foundation’s many partner organizations that advance opportunities for Hispanic/Latino communities. Here are a few to consider:
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute – Develops talented emerging Hispanic leaders through civic engagement and leadership programs.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund – Empowers students and parents with the knowledge and resources to successfully complete a higher education, while providing support services and scholarships to as many exceptional students as possible.
- UnidosUS – Serves the Latino community through research, policy analysis, and state and national advocacy efforts.
How everyone can celebrate: