What is the story: UPS is on a carbon neutral journey and we are getting there by using Renewable Natural Gas (RNG). RNG takes methane and turns it into clean fuel, which is not only carbon neutral but in fact, removes carbon.
Why it matters: According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), methane traps heat in the atmosphere 25 times more than carbon dioxide, causing more harm to the environment.
“It is a winning solution, RNG is moving our vehicles and making the planet better,” said Penny Naas president of international public affairs and sustainability. “While electrification will play a big role in decarbonising our fleet, RNG is today’s solution.”
How it works:
- The gas is captured from decomposing organic waste found in cow manure, landfills and agriculture
- The captured gas is purified to make RNG, transforming it into a more natural, less harmful alternative fuel
- RNG is clean biofuel (a renewable substitute for diesel) that can power UPS delivery vans and articulated lorries
Did you know: UPS has been investing in alternative fuel for more than 20 years and has a global fleet of more than 13,300 alternate fuel and advanced technology, which is key to reaching 40% alternative fuel in ground operations by 2025.
For example, UPS has:
- Driven over 3 billion miles on alternative fuel, equal to driving to Mars and back more than 12 times
- Purchased 155 million gallon-equivalents of RNG since 2014, becoming one of the largest consumers in the transportation industry
- Used 63 million gallons of RNG in 2021
Click here to learn more about UPS’ sustainability journey.